"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -Miguel de Cervantes

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: Zombie Tag by Hannah Moskowitz


Zombie Tag is a novel that will touch everyone who reads it differently. In my opinion it is genre breaking and makes room for an entire line of edgier middle-grade novels, not to mention more paranormal middle-grade novels.

For some, the edgier part won't be a good thing. For myself I think it is the most amazing thing to happen all year. Hannah Moskowitz already has two great Young Adult novels under her belt. Zombie Tag is her debut middle-grade novel.

Spirited is the best word I can use to describe thirteen-year-old Wil. A boy who appears well-adjusted even though his brother has been dead for six months. Wil and his friends spend much of their time playing a game that Wil and his brother Graham invented called Zombie Tag.

 Wil is obsessed with zombies and even though he has a fear of his brother coming back to eat his brains, he takes a great change and rings a bell he finds in his friend's basement that is said to bring back the dead.

Graham comes back, but not for Wil's brains. Instead he is distant and numb. Now that Graham is back and living with the family, Wil is left to wonder if he has made the right choice, and faced with the challenge of fixing his brother.

Zombie Tag is about decisions. It is about right ones, wrong ones, and dealing with the ones you have made. For that reason I believe anyone can benefit from reading this story. You can't go wrong here. The characters are so true to what children are and what they believe. Though Zombie Tag deals with many BIG issues some parents  try to hide from their kids, I believe the story deals with them in a way children can understand.


3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big zombie fan, but this sounds really good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love zombies. I'm really excited this one is out. I need to go and get a copy ASAP. Glad you really enjoyed it. I think there should be more edgier/realistic MG novels.

    I've never played Zombie Tag, but I do know it's a bit popular where I live, so I thought that was kind of cool.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Mara. I haven't read this, I just didn't think it was for me. But now that you've given me some background, I may have to check it out.

    Here's something for you. I hope you have the time to play with us.


    I've selected you as a Lucky Seven Memer - the rules are here:

    http://alongthewritelines.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-seven-meme-comes-to-call.html

    ReplyDelete