"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -Miguel de Cervantes

Monday, September 13, 2010

Review: Paper Towns by John Green

I have to admit, when I read Looking For Alaska it never clicked with me. The writing was great but I didn't get the meaning, or if I did it didn't resonate in a way that made me want to pick up another John Green book.

One year later I buy and read Paper Towns and boy does it blow you away. Start off with a cast of characters so real you feel like you've known them your entire life and add in Q's epic internal journey and bam you get a smash hit.

The entire length of Paper Towns you are made to believe the novel is about this girl named Margo Roth Spigelman but quite honestly (eww I used an adverb) Paper Towns has much more to do with how Q percives Margo.

The planning and imagination that went into the story would put some Urban Fantasy writers to shame. Even though it only weighs in at 82k words you will get much more out of it than that.

The best thing about Paper Towns? Q's friends Radar, Ben, and Lacey. Don't worry I won't give anything away except WORLDS LARGEST COLLECTION OF BLACK SANTAS.

4 comments:

  1. hahahaha...I know what you're talking about. And the thing that really sucked me into that story was the relationship and dialogue between Q, Radar and Ben. I agree it wasn't really about Margo at all, but more of a self discovery story for Q. Lacey didn't come into the story until a bit later, but she really became one of the guys which I really liked too. I loved reading a YA book through a male POV. It was a refreshing change for me and soooooooo well done. Good review. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite things about the book were the early scenes with Margo and Q and the dialogue between everybody. But I felt it dragged a little in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS BOOK BEYOND ALL REASON.

    Especially the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same feeling about the middle, it took Q a while to figure things out. The ending is like I told someone else just a 'Woah...' ending.

    ReplyDelete