"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -Miguel de Cervantes

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Dedications Page



Some writers can pump out five finished manuscripts a year others like myself do well to finish one. This isn't to put down on either type of writer, not at all. This post is more about the journey. What drove me to write GRIMACE and a little about the person who pushed me to do it.

Last summer I started taking a friend of my fiance's family to chemotherapy. I had met Ms. Dee Dee before and like my mother and mother-in-law she was a third grade teacher. I was unemployed and not attending school so I spent much of my time with Ms. Dee Dee at the clinic and in doctor's offices waiting for good news that never came.

On the third visit or so Ms. Dee Dee who often referred to me as just 'friend' asked me "You know, i'm curious to know why you are always writing down things in that notebook friend." I was embarassed to tell her the notes were ideas for my novel but I fessed up. To my suprise she was delighted and in seconds I was spilling the details about my heart broken character that was either schizophrenic or the reincarnation of Joan of Arc and Grimace the gargoyle that found purpose in protecting her.

Even as the months went on and the cancer presisted Ms. Dee Dee would squeeze my hand as we sat side by side in the cold clinic and ask, "So what is Jillian doing now?"So I would her .

Ms. Dee Dee passed away this year in late July. Now it is September and i'm creeping closer and closer to being query ready. I guess the message of this post is to always remember those who inspired you on your journey. I know that if GRIMACE ever finds a home I will have a small message to my very special friend somewhere between the cover and chapter one.

I like to think of myself as the tortoise in Aesop's fable, inching ever onward to the finish line. He believes in himself , and it dosen't matter if he wins the race just as long as he makes it to the finish line. Just me here, your humble blogger, getting closer and closer to the finish line.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very touching post. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience. The people who have encouraged me most during my current WIP are my friends Angie and Naomi. They helped me to believe in my writing and work through their guidance, constructive critiques, and words of encouragement both for my novel and in my personal life. They will get a HUGE shoutout if my work ever becomes published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredibly sweet and touching post <3
    Most people think writers are alone, but they don't know the army of people who help us to make our novels the best it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this is fantastic post. Writing affects us in ways we sometimes can't imagine, and I think it's wonderful that your work connected you with another amazing human being.

    Good luck finishing that MS--I know it's a long road, but it's totally worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete