"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -Miguel de Cervantes

Monday, June 14, 2010

Trends In YA: What Comes Next?

What is the next big thing? Is the question on every YA writer, agent, and editor’s mind. In recent years Paranormal Romance has been BIG with the emergence of Twilight. But this in itself has had a string of trends from vampires to fairies to werewolves to angels. The word is angels are on the way out so what is riding in on high tide?

Dystopian. (Hah! I got ya’) With the emergence of books like The Hunger Games, Unwind, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth agents are receiving more and more queries pitching Dystopian YA. Is Pen Sister excited? Well freaking yeah! I admire these people because I don’t think I could ever pull off that much world building myself.

What is coming up this year? Werewolves. We will see a ton of werewolf novels this year. One that recently made it to the shelf is Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson. A quick but fun read about a girl that finds out she is a werewolf.

What do I want to see? Well, I will leave that for another blog post. Make sure you take a look at my Trends in YA contest if you haven’t yet, and as always happy writing.

4 comments:

  1. Nooooo! Werewolves!! No!!! I can't think of a werewolf without thinking of a shirtless Taylor Lautner. Curse you, Twilight!

    That aside, it's really fascinating to see what trends come out. Most likely I will read it, werewolf or not. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, i'm not very hip on werewolves right now. Four years ago I loved them. I would REALLY like to see more homosexual YA novels that aren't about the two persons being homosexual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this werewolves trend... I personally don't mind a bit of shirtless Taylor, but that's just me...

    Ps. I gave you an award on my blog for being so awesome/generous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you Caitlin. That makes me feel fuzzy :D

    ReplyDelete