"The pen is the tongue of the mind." -Miguel de Cervantes

Friday, June 11, 2010

Graphic Novels: A Solution for Art Lovers

Growing up as a kid in the 90's I never had a big opprotunity to get interested in American comic book companies like Mavel, DC, or Dark Horse. In fact when I think about comics I either picture the 50's or the 80's.

Until I met my fiance in 2007 I had all but forgotten them. I can remember the first time we ate dinner at his house. After dinner and a movie it was almost time to head back home but curiousity had me in it's nasty clutches and I stole a peek into his room.

The walls were lined with bookcases and on them without a space for more were hundreds of graphic novels. "Uh, I thought you said you had books?" "These are books." he said giving me a blank stare. I have to say until then I thought Graphic Novels were for people that hadn't outgrown those old lower Middle Grade picture books.

Upon better inspection I realized that he was drawn more so to the art than the story line. These books that he had collected since the 80's were what fueled his inspiration. I realized that a lot of my friends from High School had the same thing going on with Anime and Manga and most of them were some type of artist.

Comic books have drawn kids and teens to read for close to a hundred years and with the explosion of dozens of major motion pictures like Iorn Man, Watchmen, and Fantastic 4 we can be promised that comic book characters will be part of the main stream for quite some time. Not so much into endless words on the page? Pick up a Manga book or a graphic novel. Some of my favorites are Japanese: Hana-Kimi, Petshop of Horrors, Bleach, and Inu Yasha. American: Green Lantern, Dark Avengers, The Mighty Thor, and Batman.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Faith! It's Ava. :) I've read your posts and I love your blog! I'm gonna keep watching your updates. Oh, and you know, as far as comic books go, I totally found some in my old room at my parents' house. They were all Batman, with a few Wonder Woman and The Flash. Good memories. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would believe it, you were always such a 50's kid trapped in a 90's kid's body :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. InuYasha. Yes. You should try FullMetal Alchemist, if you haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete